Seabeck Historical Timeline

 

Seabeck Conference Center has a unique history. This is the timeline from the lumber mill days to the present. In 2015 Seabeck celebrates 100 years of service to the people of the Northwest and beyond.

 

  • 1776 - The United States declares independence.

  • 1792 - George Vancouver maps Hood Canal. The deserted shores and silence of wildlife brought ridiculous suspicions by the seamen
                of hearing rattlesnakes and other hideous monsters.

  • 1841 - The Wilkes Expedition maps Seabeck Bay, calling it Scabock Harbor. When pioneers built the sawmill they chose the British
                spelling and it has remained Seabeck ever since.

  • 1856 - Seabeck's first saw mill was built.
                The original cookhouse (Meeting House), Hemlock, Madrona, Tamarack, Cypress (staff) and Rhododendron (staff) were built.

  • 1861 - Lincoln becomes president and the Civil War begins.

  • 1864 - Cedars is built.

  • 1869 - The main part of the Inn was built and called the United States Hotel.

  • 1886 - Fire burns both Seabeck mills.

  • 1889 - Washington becomes the 42nd state.

  • 1914 - Laurence Colman buys the land which becomes Seabeck Christian Conference Grounds.

  • 1915 - The YMCA Youth Conference is the first retreat to be held at Seabeck.

  • 1917 - United States enters World War I.

  • 1920 - Seabeck's present dining hall opens to guests.

  • 1928 - Firs is built.

  • 1936 - Seabeck Christian Conference Center is formed as a nonprofit organization.

  • 1941 - Japan attacks Pearl Harbor and the United States enters World War II.

  • 1942 - The Association of YMCA Retirees held their first conference.

  • 1945 - World War II ends.

  • 1949 - The original cookhouse was moved up the hill from the water's edge and becomes the Meeting House.

  • 1956 - Eliot Institute holds its first retreat at Seabeck.

  • 1958 - The Fellowship of Reconciliation holds their first retreat.
                Maples is built.

  • 1960 - Seabeck Christian Family Camp begins their tradition at Seabeck.
                The Lounge is built.

  • 1961 - Center for Spiritual Livings holds their first Seabeck retreat.

  • 1963 - Pines is built and ready for guest use.

  • 1965 - The Association for Research & Enlightenment holds their first retreat.

  • 1967 - University Congregational United Church of Christ holds their first Seabeck retreat.

  • 1968 - Spruce is completed and ready for guest use.

  • 1969 - First manned landing on the moon.

  • 1979 - Colman Craft Center is built and ready for use.
                Seabeck opens year round.

  • 1986 - Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind comes to Seabeck for the first time.

  • 1988 - Reeser House, originally in Silverdale, was moved to Seabeck by barge and set on its foundation. It was built in 1914.

  • 1989 - The Chapel was donated by a local family. It was taken apart, then rebuilt on the property.

  • 1991 - Camp Seabeck hold their first retreat.

  • 1993 - Spruce is renovated and Seabeck has its first private bath building.

  • 1994 - Seabeck began its first capital campaign to renovate and save the Inn. Phase 2 began in 1999, raising $1.5 million by 2003.

  • 1998 - Rotary International Youth Exchange holds their first retreat.

  • 1999 - Celtic Arts Foundation brings their Winter School to Seabeck.

  • 2001 - 9/11 attack on the United States, killing over 3,000 people.

  • 2006 - The Pavilion is built.

  • 2011 - Manzanita and Alder houses are demolished.

  • 2012 - Huckleberry and Salal opened to guests. These buildings were funded by $1.1 million in donations.
                The Boardwalk and Amphitheater were completed and ready for guest use.

  • 2013 - The Bouncy Bridge is completed.

  • 2014 - Juniper is torn down and a new Juniper meeting space opens to guests.

  • 2015 - Seabeck celebrates 100 years of service.
                The wheelchair accessible Treehouse is completed.
                The Amphitheater gets a facelift with new cement and grass tiered seating.
                Spruce gets a makeover with new carpet, blinds, light fixtures, bedding, and paint.

  • 2016 - Seabeck Mercantile opened, selling all Seabeck logoed merchandise.
                A new campus-wide wi-fi system was installed.

  • 2017 - Kick-off of the new Pines Campaign with hopes of raising $3M and opening the new Pines in 2019.
                Rhododendron House (staff housing) was taken down, due to old age